Saturday 20 October 2007

Tutus and Tiaras

Well, the rest of our stuff finally arrived. Thankfully, it arrived a few days before M heads back to the states for a conference. I only have two more kitchen boxes, but plenty left in the store room and our room. Tonight we got our playroom set up where the fireplace is. We haven't completely figured out the arrangement, but we'll continue to play with it. The guestroom is huge! We still haven't found the screws for the futon (or the crib, or my outdoor swing).

I didn't tell JD our things had come. She was so thrilled when she saw her toys especially her costumes. She wore her ballet outfit the rest of the day with the tiara and shoes. She insisted in sleeping in it, but I successfully convinced her that princesses don't sleep in their tiaras.

I love going to the Italian markets. It is delightful watching the daily life of the people here. It is one way for us Americans to break out of our ease of shopping on base etc. I went with some friends on Friday to one of the bigger ones in Congeliano (not sure if the spelling is right). I learned how to order a coffee "to go." I bought JD some cute mittens and a hat for JL. I also get flowers once a month at the market and they had many beautiful ones to choose from. We were in the food stalls and one of the vendors tried to sell us a skate. ICK. Squid was everywhere. I am just not there yet.

Early in the week I went to a dinner with some friends at a woman's house who owns a wine shop in Sacile. She hosts private dinners in her home for ten + people. It was wonderful. She served us the best Prosecco and red wine. We had bruschetta and cheese for our appetizer, bean soup for our primi course, game hen for our secondi and a wonderful dessert (I still have no idea what it was). YUM. She had the roaring fire going, which greatly added to the atmosphere.

No comments: