Saturday 25 October 2008

Venzone

We had a surprise BLAST today going to the town of Venzone about 1.5 hrs north of here, close to the Austrian border. The town, destroyed in the 1976 earthquake, holds a medival pumpkin festival. The town is walled (and rebuilt obviously) and has many squares. Flags are flying everywhere and the town is decked out with pumpkins and mums. We just loved it. Plus it is circled by the Alps.
I don't know if Jacqueline liked watching the sword fighting or the fire eating more. Sparks were flying off the swords and Princesses were everywhere. They had old-style arts and crafts plus everything pumpkin to eat. I didn't feel like trying the pumpkin grappa, but I will next year. I bought a few ceramic pumpkins too.

Julia is talking up a storm. She's been saying Jacqueline's name for about 3 weeks. She says jack-a-LYNNNNN. It is so funny. I doubt I'll get her on tape doing it. If Jacqueline is doing something she doesn't like, she'll say "jack-a-NO." We are enjoying watching their relationship develop as sisters and friends. She has to do whatever her older sister is doing. Yesterday, we were washing dishes. Julia went and got a small chair and stood on it to help.

We are mourning the loss of our dear neighbor, Rico. His heart hasn't been well as of late and he's been in the hospital alot this summer. I brought a Dallas Cowboy t-shirt back for him. It turned cold too soon for him to wear it, but he liked it. The last time I was over there checking on him, he had to tell me my butt was cute. Typical Italian male for you, even at 85. I will miss his often repeated story of Jackie Kennedy coming to his hotel in Trieste. We muddled through our languages together and found a way to communicate.

I carved 4 pumpkins for Jacqueline's Asilo. All the kids would run towards me yelling "Zucca!Zucca" Then they would figure out what I carved and tell me what it was called in Italian.

Our run of good weather has continued. We are blessed the rain and cool weather has held off. Right now, we are trying to decide where to go for T'Giving. I am also trying not to get depressed over my many friends leaving this coming summer. We are also trying to decide whether or not to send Jacqueline to Kindergarten on base or keep her in the Asilo next year. I just want to keep her 4, but I guess that won't happen.

I couldn't believe my eyes the other day. Even though some would beg to differ, the Italians, in the north, are very hard workers. A seventy-yr old woman (at minimum) was out hauling large tree limbs around in her skirt and twin set! I am serious. This tops off how a few weeks ago, I saw another woman, in a skirt, about the same age, working the fields of hay with a sickel. I hope I have that much gumption and health at that age. My genes are with me thus far!!!

No comments: