Sunday 19 October 2008

So much to do and so little time left

We are close to our 1.5 year point here in Italy. I made a lengthy list of all the "big" places to go, but there are so many little villages and hill towns to explore here in Italy too! So needless to say, I am FREAKING OUT.
We just said good-by today to our last guest until December. Michael asked why we have everyone come at the same time. I told him, I just told everyone to come.

Trish and her family came almost two weeks ago now (she lives in Austin and we met as single gals at church), then my college g'friend, Adriana, and her sister, who was a sorority sister at AC of mine, came a week ago Friday, then Jan, from KBH's office, came last Monday. One night we had 8 people here. Now, I have terrific friends here too. One friend put two of them up in her house. Others gave me cots and blow-up mattresses plus sheets to sleep on. One friend even drove people to the train station as I had 3 trips to make in one day. We all had a ball needless to say. I am grateful for the wonderful friends from my life who trek over here to visit us. The laughter and memories are just terrific. Plus I get to make new memories here in Europe with them, which is the cherry on top.

The day after Trish and her kiddos plus hubby arrived, we headed to the medival town of Gorizia. We went to a castle built in 1001. It was just as you would picture a castle to be - the gray stone with all the towers. They also had some of the weaponery of the time and it wasn't pretty to say the least. The kids loved it especially gathering rocks and throwing them. We were the only people there most of the time.

Now, we did stop in the town for an absolutely delicious lunch.It was hole-in-the-wall restaurant. The waitresses mother was the chef and the special of the day was homemade pumpkin gnocci (little pasta dumplings). Oh my, my tastebuds just exploded as there was smoked ricotta on top too! Jacqueline had vegtable soup with orzo and ate it up. The server suggested it as her 3 yr old loves it. Julia had a penne with ragu. We had polenta with the local Montasio cheese melted on top and sipped Schipotto (I have to check the spelling) wine outside. Oh, we also were treated to homemade olive bread. I gained 10 pounds just from that!

The next day, Michael headed to the airport to p/u my fellow Roos while the Raglin's and I plus Jacqueline headed to the mkt in Congleiano via the train. It was a delight of the senses especially in the seafood section of the market. Most of the fish are completely intact - you should have seen the kids eyes. Then, there was a bag full of live crabs and we watched one escape. One of the shop keepers picked it back up and threw it back in the bag, but not without taunting the kids with it. We ate gelato twice, I think.

The Texans brought unseasonably warm and sunny weather with them.

Our other guests arrived and we sat on our porch drinking prosecco and eating cheese on a glorious fall day.

Saturday morning we all packed up and headed to Lake Bled. Trish was a real trooper b/c the front door to the BMW isn't working and she crawled in and out the window anytime we stopped. Oh...it was funny. Before we went off to Bled, we had a tour of the mosaic school in Spilimbergo. It was enjoyed by all. The drive to Bled through the Alps was spectacular. The fall colors were in full display. Last time I went to Bled, it rained most of the time so it was great to go in perfect weather. Claudia said it was one of the most beautiful places she has ever been - just out of a storybook.

We all got to ring the bell of the church again. We also ate dinner at the same place we did in June. Everyone's food was delish and a nice change from pasta. Patrick couldn't believe the beer. Our meal was only 108 euro for all of us (and on Thursday lunch was 90 euros) so as you can see, Slovenia is a much better deal than Italy! The next day, we all did our own thing. Michael and Jacqueline did the luge (pics to follow) down a mountain side. She was screaming with delight all the way down. I was so proud of her as I would have been screaming something else.

We all piled back in the cars and headed home. We went to eat pizza again in Dardago as no one could get enough on Friday night.

Okay, it's beautiful outside again, so I will continue this post later.

No comments: