Sunday 16 September 2007

The week


I still don't have internet so it's catch while catch can on the blog and e-mailing (melinda!). We've submitted our application to the wi-fi place so we'll see how long it takes to get it. I also contacted Vonage to get an American phone number. All this technology! I know nothing so I am trying to learn. My kids will know more than me by the time they are 5. I don't want to be one of "those parents."






We are so blessed living in this community. There are so many terrific down to earth people here (and lots of Texans). Michael even said the other day, "I really like it here b/c there is such a sense of community." There are about 10,000 people in the Aviano military community - including all family members and civilian employees. We have a hospital, but no emergency room on base and a new school! There is a library, a bowling alley (Jacqueline loves), a movie theater (not new releases truly - they've been showing Harry Potter this week), a grocery store, Post office etc.


We found a church service we agreed upon only to discover today that it is moving to 5 on Sundays so we'll see what we do about that. On Wednesday nights they have a gathering with Sunday School for a full hour (including adult classes). I enjoyed that. We are studying "The 5 Languages of Love." Of course, it is interesting doing a marriage enrichment class when your husband isn't there!



Okay, so last week we went to the mall in Udine and Jacqueline was all excited about the restaurant in the above picture. You should have seen her glee! Michael and I couldn't bring ourselves to do it so we ate Italian food, but didn't realize we were sitting in the chinese food section so Michael had to order another plate of food! There was also a Mexican food restaurant - hmmm at an Italian mall.
Well, our stuff came the SAME DAY as Jacqueline started school. Also, we only got half of our stuff. We have some table legs, our bed frames, one side of Julia's crib, some of my clothes, glasses, but no plates... you get the picture. No one knows where our other stuff is. I also had the house perfectly arranged in my head, but our overstuffed green couch doesn't fit through the downstairs door so it is sitting in the garage. I hurriedly drove JD to school then back to the house for 15 minutes then to the base for Officer's Spouses Club to sign-up for all the fun stuff (the Vice Wing Commander's Wife had RSVP'd for me so there was no way I wasn't going to show up). I stayed for 30 minutes and left to go home then back to p/u JD. Aren't you exhausted? I know I am. So far we only have a few broken things. For some reason, one of the packers put tape all over our leather ottoman and wrecked it. The chair isn't here yet.
The Monday before our stuff came, Michael and I had the pleasure of attending a VIP dinner with a visiting General. We were taken by shuttle bus (somewhere - I still don't know where) to an old restaurant - stone building. We started (the 12 of us) with Olives in the Olive grove and Prosecco (a type of sparkling wine). It was delicious. Then we headed inside to start on our first of many courses. The wine served at dinner was grown locally. Our first course had bruschetta and other appetizers. Then we had lasagna (but it was with a white sauce), next came some risotto, I can't even remember what the primi courses were, but there were about 3-4. They also served us one of the best things I've ever eaten - fried sage leaves. I can't even describe what they tasted like, but the men were a little reluctant. The secondi course was pork with cheese on top and roasted tomatoes and potatoes. Dessert was a creme carmel of sorts and figs etc. We also were treated to flavored grappa for our appertif.
Most of the guests were fighter pilots so needless to say, I feel indoctrinated to the AF now. It was just fascinating listening to a whole different side of life in the AF I know absolutely nothing about. I also now know the legend of Jeremiah Bush whiskey - the General informed us all about it. I also know how to make my own limoncello - another delicious appertif here. The grappa is more like gasoline to me. Again, terrific people serving the AF well here. If you haven't seen the latest news on our fighter pilot that had to eject check out estripes.com for the news. Michael hasn't been getting any sleep working on this issue - at work at 5:30 and nights past midnight. The pilot is so lucky to be here. He definitely had a guardian angel working for him.

No comments: