Tuesday 11 September 2007

september 11th













I have much to write about so I hope I remember it all. It's another beautiful day here in Italy. I am sitting outside blogging while looking at the green mountains with a bright blue sky above them. AHHHHH. Next time I will bring my camera so you all can sigh with me. Thank you for reading - I'm glad to know someone besides my mom is!










Last Friday night I went to Jacqueline's Italian school for the parent-teacher conference. The school was peeling and looked so old on the outside so I wasn't too impressed at the outset. I turned the corner and PRESTO - the playground - the center of the universe for any preschooler. The equipment was new and there are some really cool pieces. The nun in charge was conducting a service. I, of course, didn't understand a lick of it b/c it was in Italian. She wasn't your stereotype scary nun as she had much joy in her face! It was interesting being in a school with Christian images - I hadn't expected that.










There were four teachers up front. One was really cute and she looked like she would be fun (a great barometer for how good of a teacher she'll be I know). I also thought JD would love her red glasses and long hair. Well, that is who she got! Love her. JD's classroom has all new furniture and is newly painted. The school, by the way, is old as it is celebrating it's 100th anniversary this year. There are 25 kids in her class between the ages of 3-5. She only goes for an hour the first few days b/c it will be "so hard" for the 3 year olds then two hours and then three. Obviously this means I will be spending lots of time in the car. We didn't get into the school by our house.










The teacher asked me all about JD's personality (in Italian again through my translator - Michael's terrific assistant, Linda). At the end she said, "I think she'll be teaching me English by the end of the year." We all laughed. JD is most excited that she may eat octopus for lunch as that is what one girl told us she had sometimes. A group of people said last night she will be so disappointed when she goes back to the US and all they serve are grilled cheese and hot dogs.










On Saturday we did head to the mall in Udine. A beautiful drive through the countryside. It looked like a warehouse from the outside, but a typical mall inside. The size was deceiving b/c it was really big! I'll talk more about this adventure later when I have my camera with the pictures. I've added some more pictures of Florence to the top of the post.





















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're having fun and finding time to update your blog - what about finding time to respond to emails from your sister :-)?