Friday 24 August 2007

august 24th

Nothing too new to report. Jacqueline and I couldn't believe it when we came outside of the house to p/u Michael yesterday - the clouds were down in our village. It was just breathtaking b/c they framed our bell tower. We still only have one car. We'll hopefully go to Livirno to p/u the Tahoe this coming week.

I did accomplish quite a bit yesterday. I had to go p/u our decoder so we can get tv through the Armed Forces Network. We get 5-7 channels for free - but there are military empowerment commericals instead of "our" commercials. I won't miss all the ads for the elections - The directions were to a white building w/ a white cement fence in the industrial park in the city of Aviano. Well, I get to the industrial park and ALL the buildings are white w/ a white fence. Thank goodness we just bought a GPS. I didn't have the address just the street so I had to figure it out by the process of elimination. I did it though!!

We can see the lights of the city below from our balcony. I think its the town of Sacile, which has canals running through it.

Today I did venture into Dardago during the day. I strolled up the street and the little market on the square was open. I bought a few postcards of Dardago and an ice tea. I have become completely addicted to their peach ice tea. They had gelato and ice cream cakes, bread and numerous magazines. I can't figure out when they are open yet. I will sign up next week for my Italian classes so I can figure it out as well as figure out what my neigbors are saying to me. I know all their dogs names, but little else.

Pretty much everything closes from 12:30-3 including the businesses in the surrounding towns. That is the life, isn't it? Wake up, have your cafe, work hard, take a nap and eat lunch, work some more, stroll around your town, eat some delicious food and drink some wine (and drink a scorpino - not sure about the spelling, but it is lemon sorbet mixed with vodka) then go to bed.
I think I can do that every day for a few years. Come for a visit and you can do it too!

No comments: