Thursday 23 August 2007

August 23rd

I still can't believe we are here. I'll probably say that the whole time I am here. Yesterday, some of the girls from the office and I went to a town called Nove where they produce ceramics. I was completely overwhelmed by all the choices. They actually produce some of the settings for Lenox and Tiffany's here. I bought some gifts - the prices are amazingly cheap. We also looked at some frescos.
I feel like a true Italian now. I met "the squatter." What is it you ask? a toilet in the floor. I totally wish I was kidding. We were in a nice restaurant too!! It is completely surrounded by beautiful porcelain. There is some strategy for meeting the squatter too, which we were briefed on last week in a spouses training session (didn't think it would include going to the bathroom). All I could think of was wait till Jacqueline meets "the squatter." Thankfully, after my meeting, I ate gelato. All was better then.
As we were leaving I saw an older woman peddling her bike with her dog in the basket. This is pure Italy.
Julia is signing "more" with gusto. She loves Italian food. She should be crawling soon, but I hope it waits till our furniture comes so I can have some rugs down. We do have beautiful tile floors. One of Michael's office mates has all marble floors in his house, which are just beautiful.
We think we'll have more than five pieces of furniture by the end of September. But the good news is that we have HOT WATER. I got to actually take a shower in the house yesterday. Now, I have no excuse to get out of cooking.
I did pass my driving test. There are no shoulders on the roads in Italy and the bikes share the roads with you. There are many streets I drive on not believing two vehicles can pass. I just can't wait to get the Tahoe!! Also I have to remember to check my mirror before I turn left b/c even if you have your signal on, they will still go around you on the left!!!!

It is my new mantra - "check the mirror and don't worry about the Italian in the Smart Car on your bumper."

6 comments:

Miles and Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miles and Jenny said...

This is a beautiful blog. Thanks for sharing your life. I have not met your little ones yet. Perhaps soemday we will be able to meet them. Grammie spoke often of you and shared pictures of your little Jacqueline. She is beautiful. Italy. Wow. Miles and I have been talking about visiting there. Perhaps there is a University there he could get his PhD through? We will have to check it out.

You take care. Cousin
-Jenny Custis

connie Kennedy said...

Hey to you all, I miss you alot but this is great to hear from you this way. I'm glad to hear about the hot water, I can't even imagine. We have a silver coin jar started Italy. Hope it fills up soon. I'll write soon on regular email.
Loads of Love and kiss the girls for me, Connie

Laurie said...

This is wonderful, Kalynne...I love the blog! Will be such a fun way to keep up with your family's Italian adventures! Please eat some gelato for me and keep the updates (with pictures!) coming. :)

Brooke said...

What a thrill to read this blog!! How magnificent and juicy your adventure is! Ahhhh... enjoy and keep sending the updates so that those of us stuck uhhh, NOT in Italy, can drool and fantasize...
Love, Brooke
PS Your girls sound wonderful! Cannot wait till one fine day when they can meet Reese in Austin! Hugs to you all!

Anonymous said...

WE ARE ABSOLUTELY LOVING YOUR JOURNAL..............PLEEEEESE DON'T STOP. I KNOW IT'S HARD WITH THE GIRLS TUGGING AT YOUR SKIRT, BUT WE ARE LOVING EVERY WORD.
LOVE, AUNT PAT AND UNCLE TERRY