Monday 11 February 2008

yes, we are still here

Okay, It's been awhile, but I went to Texas for the holidays (3 weeks) and then Mom came back with me for 3 weeks and just left! Yowza, how time flies.
Well, I am totally in love with Venice. Mom and I went twice during her time here. It is just empty in January and February. We walked straight into St. Mark's with no wait. We also found a church, which Jacqueline made us go into, that took our breath away. I've figured out the vaperetto system a little better. We went one time on Fat Tuesday with Jacqueline in costume. She posed with everyone. I now understand why people love Venice. It is so different than any other city in the world b/c of the water.
Our whole family went to Garmisch, Germany for a conference. We stayed at a U.S. facility there and I heartily enjoyed a margarita and Starbucks coffee. The highlight was going to Cinderella's castle. We had to go in horse and carriage. I still can't believe I went and the inside is just as beautiful as the out. We throughly enjoyed our drive on the "Romantic Road." We also went to a monastary where they brew beer and had some delicious cheese. Jacqueline also went skiing for the first time!
Mom and I traveled to Aquilea about an hours drive from here. The mosaic floor, constructed in 313, is the largest mosaic in the Western Hemisphere.
I've been getting yelled at (one time by the nuns) for not dressing the girls warm enough. I just though, "and you don't put your kids in car seats and your giving me a lecture?!!!"
Julia is on the verge of walking, but believe me, I am not pushing it with my tile floors and marble stairs.
Mom enjoyed her pizza and had her first taste of gnocci.
I am back to Italian classes tomorrow - ugh. Just pray for me that I have some breakthrough. I am so far behind.

No comments: